Thursday, January 12, 2012

Unearthly and Hallowed by Cynthia Hand


Wow, I seriously was surprised by how good this series is so far! I mean, you guys kept on telling me how much I’d love it, but to be honest, I was a bit apprehensive. I have high standards for my angel fiction. Plus that pretty cover? Gosh, I fell in love with that cover the moment I saw it. Well, I’m happy to report that the hype, the few of you who nagged me... you were all right. I *loved* “Unearthly” and its sequel, “Hallowed”. I cannot wait until the 3rd book comes out next year!

In Ms. Hand’s version of our universe, angels bred with human beings and another species was formed - angel bloods. Each descendant, each “angel blood” is given a purpose from the big guy, told to them in visions or dreams. At the top of book one, our heroine, Clara, begins having a series of visions, laying out her purpose. Once her mother help her figure out where she needs to be, she and her brother are whisked away from California to Jackson, Wyoming. New school, cute boys, and a purpose from God - talk about an interesting life as a teenager.

The feel of the story was a bit stereotypical at first, but as “Unearthly” developed, I fell in love with the characters and couldn’t wait to read more. I ended up reading these two books in a matter of days and it was worth the lack of sleep! “Unearthly” was charming, fun and intriguing, but it wasn’t until “http://amzn.to/w1u8Y1” that I can truly say that this series had me hook, line, and sinker. Ms. Hand really found her flow in the 2nd book and it showed. It was much more polished and the storyline was incredibly heartbreaking and full of so many levels. Have a tissue box nearby folks. This one hit a little close to home for me and I spent the next 30 minutes sobbing into my pillow so I wouldn’t wake my husband. I know that sounds like a bad thing, but it isn’t. I connected so deeply to these characters that I just couldn’t help myself.

Unearthly” and “Hallowed” are published by HarperTeen. “Hallowed” will hit shelves on January 24th. In the mean time, “Unearthly” is on sale for only 99 cents for all eReaders! Get it while it’s hot, people.

1 comment:

  1. (The cover for Unearthly matches your blog design so well! Hee.)
    I loved Unearthly, so I'm glad you finally got the chance to read it! I wasn't quite as thrilled with Hallowed, but I still enjoyed it. Great review, Michelle! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...