Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cascade by Lisa T. Bergen


I’ve found that sometimes good fantasy books can get buried because they get categorized into the “Christian fantasy” section and people immediately go “well, that’s not for me!” I’ve read some really great fantasy novels, that are technically Christian fantasy, but aren’t preachy at all! I hate to see these good books go unnoticed by fans of fantasy and this series by Lisa T. Bergen is one of the ones I’d really like people for people to try!

The River of Time series, by Lisa T. Bergen, is good ol’ fashion fun. I really had a great time reading the first installment, Waterfall (review). So when the author offered for me to read an ARC of “Cascade”, I jumped at the chance! It was just what I was looking for.. something not ridiculously angsty (don’t get me wrong, I love angst, but a girl needs a break now and then!), sexy, or dark. I wanted something light, clean, but still fantasy and this was the perfect fit. Cascade continues the story of sisters Lia and Gabi who have found a portal to travel back in time. The story begins right where we left off with book one, their arrival back into present time after Gabi’s been poisoned in the past. As happy as they are to be home, Gabi’s left a part of her heart back in the 14th century and she’s anxious to return to her Italian nobleman. In order to do so, Lia and Gabi have to convince their scientist mother to join them. But... the past isn’t for everyone. It’s a world where death is present in the everyday life of even the wealthy. To Gabi, this makes life more real, more vivid, but what about Lia and her mother? Can she convince them that the 14th century is a place for all of them? And what about this great power they hold in the time portal... could they use it to save their deceased father from his fate?

So many questions and while Ms. Bergen does go about answering quite a few of them, she leaves you anxious to read the third book which will be coming out later this year. The writing is solid, though sometimes the youth voice seems a bit forced. Nothing too irritating though! The adventure is fabulous. I’m a big fan of action scenes and “Cacade” is chocked full of them. If you’re an action junkie, you’ll love these books. Sword fights, horse chases, great escapes, and all set in medieval Italy? Oh so fun! Yes, God is mentioned. 1) It’s 14th century Italy. Religion is pretty important culturally. 2) Um, they are facing life or death situations so sometimes they pray or think about God. That’s about it though. It’s REALLY not preachy so those of you who are turned off by it being a “Christian” book have no need to fear. I don’t want to get into my religious views on here, but I’m not really a religious person and have strong opinions about preaching and it doesn’t bother me. Don’t let this simple yet very fun fantasy story pass you by. It’s worth a read and is the perfect book to take to the beach this June.

The River of Time series is published by David. C Cook. "Cascade" is scheduled to be released on June 1st of this year. I was provided with a digital ARC by the author for honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Michelle, for sharing your thoughts. So glad you rejoined me for the ride--it was just as much fun to write as people are telling me it is to read!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...