Thursday, April 28, 2011

Two Moon Princess by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban


I hate to write negative reviews, but I really did not care for “Two Moon Princess” by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban. It looks like I am alone in this camp. It’s not that I hated it. Ms. Ferreiro-Esteban’s writing style just didn’t jive with me. I felt like it was a lot of telling instead of showing, which as you know from some of my previous reviews, is a pet peeve of mine. I know this is something difficult to do as I’ve learned from my writer friends. To be honest, I don’t know how you guys do it! With my job, I get critiqued and sometimes, yeah, it hurts when it is negative, but in the end, I know that I got paid to do the job the director wanted. But with writers, it’s YOUR baby. Sure you have editors and whatnot, but in the end, it’s your work and you don’t get paid unless people like it. That is ROUGH and I admire anyone who has the guts to write. You have to lay it all out there.

Anyways, back to “Two Moon Princess", the plot is really quite interesting. It’s about a headstrong young princess who wants nothing more than to be a knight, but her parents have other plans. They’ve indulged her, but now that she’s 14 (17 in our world) it’s time for her to learn to be a lady. Problem is, Andrea isn’t lady material! She lives in a medieval period world that legend says holds portals or doors to other worlds, including Earth where Andrea’s ancestors originally came from. Well, Princess Andrea ends up traveling between our world and her own .. and learns a lot about people and herself along the way.

Sounds really cool right? I think it has the potential to be an amazing story, but just falls short due to the writing. That’s just me though. Lots of people obviously really love it and if that sort of thing doesn’t bother you, then you should check it out. The pacing is slow at the top, but it really picks up toward the end. It’s definitely different than anything else I’ve seen recently and will make for a refreshing read for fantasy and even time travel lovers who want something a little different.

“Two Moon Princess” is published by Tanglewood Press. I received a digital copy for review. It was published in June of 2010 so you can find it at your local bookstore or online today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...