Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Prom & Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg



When describing “Prom & Prejudice” by Elizabeth Eulberg to my husband, I said it was like cotton candy. It is a sweet and fluffy treat with little substance that I enjoy eating on special occasions. After reading some dystopian books lately, “Prom & Prejudice” was just the light reading snack I needed to lighten the mood. I devoured it in less than 24 hours.

Yum yum:
  • It was fun seeing how Ms. Eulberg adapted Austen’s romance to fit into today’s society and make it relevant to teenagers.
  • Lizzy is absolutely adorable. I loved her character and I had fun following her adventure. Her reaction to finding out about Will’s parentage was incredibly well written.
  • This book is SO charming. I think Austen fans will definitely appreciate it and that Ms. Eulberg did a great job handling the application of a modern world with Austen’s original story. It also may end up introducing teens to the world of Austen too which is wonderful. A+ Ms Eulberg!

The calories:
  • Will Darcy was a bit flat as a character. Obviously, since I know P&P so well, I knew he had the hots for Lizzy, but I don’t think my 17 year old sister would have had a clue.
  • I know that this book deals with the upper crust of society, but at times, I felt like Ms. Eulberg was trying to hard to stay too close to Austen-esque language. It felt like a bit of a stretch. I didn’t mind it, but I would worry about it appealing to a crowd unfamiliar with formal speech patterns.

Overall, Ms. Eulberg’s “Prom & Prejudice” is positively delightful and a book I would recommend to anyone who is looking for something light and fun to read.

Thanks to Scholastic for providing me with a copy of "Prom & Prejudice” to review. It is currently available online and at your local bookstores.

1 comment:

  1. I like hearing what you thought of this, since you are such an Austen fan! It sounds fun- I definitely need to pick it up. I'm ordering it for my library for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...