Monday, March 12, 2012

Allegiance by Cayla Kluver


I’ve been a bit disappointed in books lately. There were a few that I picked up between “Goddess Interrupted” and “Allegiance” that I just couldn’t get through. For me, after disappointment, I have a hard time getting my reading mojo back. Luckily, I picked up Cayla Kluver’s “Allegiance”, part two in her “Legacy” trilogy. (Click here to read my review of the first book. You can also hear me interview Cayla on AuthorsareROCKSTARS.com.)

Ms. Kluver has outdone herself with “Allegiance”. I couldn’t stop reading. It was only when my body forced me at 1am to finally go to sleep that I put the book down. Within an hour of waking, I was back to reading. That’s saying a lot. (Fun fact: I am not a morning person.) Anyways, you get the point. It was addictive, well written and incredibly epic. This is classic fantasy (although some people are calling it historical, but um, a) not a real world and b) there is some magic). Ms. Kluver seems to really come into her own in this book and I never got the feeling that she was trying too hard like I did in the first book.

This book is also much more focused on the story as a whole rather than just the story of Alera and her emotional journey as a woman and a princess. There is a large cast of characters and so many of them have their own voices and stories to will draw you in. Her secondary characters aren’t just pawns to drive the plot of Alera, but are fully developed characters with interesting personalities and back-stories that you come to truly care about. My only issue is that I’m not sure where book three is going to go, but I don’t want to go into that. It’s hard enough not revealing spoilers as it is! Read this book already, so I can talk to ya’ll about it, okay?

If you’re a fan of fantasy, this series should be a must read. Even if you aren’t a big fan of romance in your fantasy.. read this series. Trust me, it is so much more than just mushy gushy princesses. And if fantasy romance is your cup of tea (seriously, are you a coffee drinker?), don’t despair. The romance is still incredibly moving and definitely worth a read.

I received an e-galley from the publisher, HarlequinTeen, via Netgalley.com. Both “Legacy” and “Allegiance” are on shelves now. The third book “Sacrifice” is coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...