Friday, February 10, 2012

Audiobook Review - Eve by Anna Carey


Okay. I think it’s official. I’m obsessed with dystopians. As much as I get tired of these run down, hard knock universes, I find myself drawn to them more and more. I feel like lately it’s all I read! They are all the rage lately, so that’s part of it. Never are stakes higher than when you’re saving world or yourself, right? They tend to have great action, exciting romance, and a lot of them have interesting twists. They’re thrilling without being a thriller. I love the ride.

So it’ll come as no big surprise then that I really enjoyed Anna Carey’s “Eve.” I’ve been listening to it over the past month or so. (I listen to audiobooks slowly. I love ‘em, but I only listen in the car or at the gym. Obviously, I need to go to the gym more.) Before I dive into the story, let me give a shout to the narrator, Tavia Gilbert, who handled the material fantastically. Since I’m a voice actor myself, you know I’m obsessed with the vocal qualities of the narrator. Tavia did an awesome job. She transitions between characters smoothly, while still having them all be distinct. I especially loved the voices she used for the older couple you encounter later on in the book. Top notch! It’s so wonderful to encounter such a talented narrator on a young adult novel. Way to go, Tavia!

Back to the book, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I’m going to steal the Goodreads.com description because every time I attempt to talk about this book, I end up spoiling something. Gah!

The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.


The settings are fantastic. I really felt like I was traveling with Eve throughout the book. I loved the memories to her life back at school. It really helped me connect with Eve and get to know her better. I could ramble on and on, but as I said, I liked it. It’s a solid dystopian and I’m interested to see if some of the questions I have about the world & Eve’s future are answered in book 2.

I purchased the “Eve” audiobook via Audible.com. The audiobook was produced by Harper Audio. You can hear an interview with Anna Carey (along with Amy Garvey, Kiersten White, and Claudia Gray) over at Authors are ROCKSTARS!. She’ll be returning to the podcast in May, so stay tuned for that! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks! Your extra nice words totally made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to listen to this one! I have so much respect for a good narrator. Glad to know you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...