Sunday, January 23, 2011

Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis



“Kat, Incorrigible” by Stephanie Burgis is a charming, middle grade romp in a lively rendition of Regency England. This isn’t Mr. Darcy’s England though. Well-mannered young ladies may also know a thing or two about magic. I don’t usually read middle grade fiction, but when I saw that this was set in my favorite period of history, I just couldn’t help myself!

Ms. Burgis’ story revolves around 12-year-old Kat Stephenson, a rambunctious and sassy young lady with a penchant for aggravating her “Stepmama” and doing what she feels is right. Kat soon finds herself deep in the midst of a battle for her life and the lives of her sisters when her Stepmama decides to try and marry off her eldest sister to a man with a somewhat suspect marital history. With a dash of magic and mystery, Kat makes incredible discovery along the way.

I found this story to be very charming. I think it will absolutely delight the age group it’s targeting, but is also a fun read for older readers (even, gasp, adults like myself!). I don’t feel the need to break it all down in bullet points. It’s simply an enjoyable, magical story about a strong-willed young woman and her adventure. The ending tied up quite nicely for those who don’t enjoy cliffhangers, but left you caring enough about Kat to want to know what kind of trouble she finds for herself in the next book.

The publisher, Simon & Schuster, provided me with an ARC. “Kat, Incorrigible” is scheduled to be released in April of this year in the USA and is already available “across the pond”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...