Monday, January 24, 2011

E's Pick of the Week - Duck at the Door by Jackie Urbanovic



E’s Pick of the Week - Duck at the Door by Jackie Urbanovic

Okay, so you probably have a lot of questions for me right now. Like, huh? Who is E and I thought this was a YA book blog? Well, I've decided to start a new feature. While my main focus will continue to be on young adult books, the title of this blog is "Never Gonna Grow Up!" so I think that covers all age groups, don't you? I've decided that once a week, I'm going to write a little blurb about my son's favorite title for the week. He's the "E" in all of this. So, let's get started!

For our first “E's Pick of the Week”, we have Jackie Urbanovic's "Duck at the Door". This book is recommended for children 4-8 years of age, but my son who is 18 months old loves it. He is absolutely crazy about ducks and the story is short enough that he is able to sit through multiple readings of this book without getting squirmy (because we can’t just read books one at a time!). He actually received a stuffed animal version of this book's duck, Max, from my mom shortly before she passed away, so this book holds a special position in my heart.

The story revolves around a silly duck and his misadventures with a family of animals and one woman after he decides not to fly south for the winter. It's a quick, fun read with great illustrations. The illustrations are stronger than the writing, but it is still enjoyable. E loves to discuss the many different animals that live in the house and what noises they make.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has a child who is fascinated by birds and water fowl like my little guy. It was released to paperback today by HarperCollins. You can now find it in hardcover or paperback at your favorite book store.

....And that's it for E's pick of the week! Stay tuned for your regularly scheduled programming.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...