Monday, April 2, 2012

Perception by Kim Harrington


Kim Harrington is such a fantastic writer. I feel I must lead with that. I loved “Clarity” (click here for my review) and “Perception” did not disappoint. The plots aren’t blow-your-mind magical or creative, but they are so interesting and Ms. Harrington’s writing is so tight, well paced, and exciting. She doesn’t waste a single word. It’s really incredible. Aspiring writers, her books are a must read. Her plotting/pacing is true perfection.

This book picks up at the start of the school year shortly after the exciting events of the first book, “Clarity”. Our heroine, Clarity, is now famous after everything that went down in the last book. Instead of being a “freak” due to her psychic ability (she can read objects), she’s now been adopted by the popular clique as their new toy. Not all of the popular clique is happy about it though and continue to make her life unpleasant. She’d be more than happy to going back to the way things were, living life as a wallflower. That’s not an option for Clarity now. She soon draws the attention of someone whose admiration has gone from slightly creepy to downright frightening. Is it Justin, her ex-boyfriend who heroically saved her life? Or is it Gabriel, the hottie who has conflicted feelings about psychics, but who grew into a friend with potential for so much more in the last book? Well, read the book you silly kiddos. My lips are sealed.

Kim Harrington has twice now written books that have completely consumed my attention. I think “Clarity” and “Perception” would even appeal to the reluctant teen reader. They are books that are not to be missed, especially if you’re a fan of mysteries. These quick, well written books will blow you away. I really cannot get over how incredibly well paced and concise Ms. Harrington’s writing is. Fabulous job, Ms. Harrington. Simply fabulous!

I am giving away a couple signed book plates that Ms. Harrington sent me when I purchased a copy of “Clarity” in a charity auction. Just post a comment here and let me know what psychic power you’d want to have. The winner will be chosen on April 9th!

I was provided with an ARC by the publisher, Scholastic. “Perception” was released in February of this year.

2 comments:

  1. Not a fan, but my wife actually knows some other stuff by Kim and decided to check this one as well, need to wait for translation though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that concept! :) If I could have just one psychic power, I'd probably become a seer. Nothing fancy - as long as I can see a few minutes in the future (like in that Nicolas Cage movie), I can make a fortune on a roulette table. :^D

    If I win, my email is grigory99 at yahoo dot com

    *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...