Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore



I really enjoyed this book. Action packed science fiction with a touch of sexual/romantic tension? Um, yeah, that’s a “must read” for me. “The Power of Six” does not disappoint. It pulled me in immediately and kept me reading as fast as I possibly could. Just to give you a series summary, here is the official description of the first book, “I Am Number Four”.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.
Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing. But they know.
They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.
I am Number Four. I am next.


This book is from the perspectives of Number Four, John Smith, who we got to know in the first book and Number Seven, Marina, who is currently cooped up in a convent/orphanage in Spain. The change in voice is indicated by a subtle change in font, which I thought was a really nice touch. Marina is sassy and strong, but hasn’t lived her life on the run like John and Six. Once she and her cepan (or guardian) found this convent, her cepan embraced the life as a nun and forgot about their mission. Marina has had to deal with most of her legacies on her own. She has some cool ones too, but I don’t want to spoil ya. Number Four, Six and Sam’s plot line is super fun and I absolutely love Six. She is totally kick butt, but has some real emotional depth. I’m really looking to forward to seeing even more of her in the next installment.

For those of you who haven’t read the first book, I wouldn’t recommend jumping right in unless you read it or watch the movie. (I know I know, some people say the movie isn’t that great, but I loved it.) The movie will give you enough background to move forward if you just can’t wait. I know I couldn’t if I were you! This book is fabulous and it is just came out this week. Go, buy yourself a copy. Any fan of action, adventure or aliens will absolutely love this book. It’s the classic battle of good versus evil. I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book!

I was provided with an ARC of “The Power of Six” by the publisher, HarperCollins. It was released this week (August 23rd).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...